Monday, November 10, 2008

Just Another Day in Paradise

We have actually had quite the uneventful weekend. No major excitement - and that's a good thing!! It's hard to believe that we've gotten into somewhat of a routine. One third of my day is taken up with either feeding or preparing to feed. The first 20 to 30 minutes is spent feeding Josephine and the next 20 minutes or so is spent pumping. So one hour out of every three is set aside for feeding or something related to it. Makes for a really exciting day!! ;) The rest of our day is spent doing little things around the house - laundry, dishes, playing with James, etc.

Jon has been laying the tile for our hearth. We should have our woodstove up and running by tomorrow evening if everything goes as planned. He's done a great job. I can't wait to see how it all looks when it's put together.

Josephine is really starting to be alert. She's spending more and more time looking around and checking things out. She likes to sit in her swing and watch the lights and the mobile above her. We still don't turn on the swing - she's so light that it seems to swing out of control. I swear one of these days it will swing all the way around like a carnival ride!!

We haven't had any more "blue" spells since her last one on Friday at the end of our photography session. That has been a relief. That 24+ hours was torturous!! And it's days like we've had this weekend that we are truly blessed and almost forget that she's sick. They are relaxing and we get to spend time just getting to know our little girl. For example, she likes to sit up while we're feeding her; she loves to cuddle against my chest, but only in a way so that her ear is against my chest and she can hear my heart; she likes to have wiggle time just laying on a blanket on the floor or on my bed; and she prefers to sleep on her right side. It's hard to believe that she'll be three weeks old on Wednesday. Our next big milestone is one month old.

On Saturday, we went to the Harvest Dinner at church. It really has been great to be able to get out of the house from time to time, and be able to take her with us. We were starting to worry that after all of her episodes on Thursday, one of us would always be under house arrest, so as not to be too far away from the oxygen concentrator. (The portable tanks don't last that long.) But after talking with Dr. Russell, her pediatrician, on Friday, we are much more comfortable with just doing things as we normally would, or close to normal anyway. We are still keeping her at home away from the colds and flus that are going around as much as possible. We're going to try for another outing later this week. Maybe we'll venture up to the school so she can meet everyone up there.

No comments: